You know how some mornings you wake up, jump out of bed, and you're full of piss and vinegar and ready to take on the world?
And other days you wake up and it's like you got hit by a cement truck rolling down the hill with no brakes?
But writing feels a lot like dragging barbed wire through my brain right now, so here's a 2-hour livecoding session instead. We worked on building a webapp with Gatsby and using Constate for state management.
We continue tonight, and on Wednesday, you get an article about it. Deal?
Let's try a new section for these wonderful Monday emails. Every day, I try to write 200 words about something new I learned. The cute little posts go on to live or die on Twitter and Facebook.
But you're my favorite, so I should share them here as well.
- Getting help on Twitter can be absolutely fantastic
- Out-of-box Rails caching isn't actually that useful
- Novelty makes teaching and sharing easy. Preserving that enthusiasm as a grizzled veteran ain't easy
- README.md is great basic documentation, but you need more
Here's a bunch of cool things I discovered this week.
- BestOfJS released their 2018 findings of most popular repositories. Interestingly Vue is the most popular frontend framework, but the most popular full-stack frameworks and site builders are all based on React. 🤔
- react-simple-img is like a better version of my react-lazyload-fadein component.
- The Towards Data Science blog published a really cool study of SF Bay Area commuter regions. I need to find time to do more machine learning, it's amazing for things like this.
- This Pew Research are you middle class calculator is a beautiful example of how even very simple data visuals can greatly enhance a story.
- And here's one I've been meaning to share for a while 👉 The Pudding is an amazing independent blog that publishes data-based stories with beautiful visualizations. Great for inspiration.
Here's how it works 👇
Then get thoughtful letters 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only email I open from marketers and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Ready to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, modern backend for the frontend engineer.
Ready to learn how it all fits together and build a modern webapp from scratch? Learn how to launch a webapp and make your first 💰 on the side with ServerlessReact.Dev
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️