My code has never looked so beautiful!
Monitor reviews are a very visual affair. Watch the video 👆
Got my LG UltraFine 5K 27" from Amazon. Mine was a refurb, so I saved about $500 from full price. Your luck may vary.
Here's a quick rundown for the impatient 👇
New office setup with the 5K monitor 👌— Swizec Teller (@Swizec) December 11, 2017
On cable to rule them all pic.twitter.com/uJcVTfUpry
- gorgeous picture
- so many pixels 5120x2880
- seriously, my code looks like it's printed on paper 😍
- one cable to rule them all (same cable charges your laptop and connects everything)
- 3 USB-C ports, works as a hub
- USB-C connection should have enough bandwidth for a lot of peripherals
- amazing built-in speakers, no more muffled bassy sound
- okay webcam
- adjustable height and 2-directional tilt
- light yet sturdy
- design looks 👌
- USB-C only, you need to buy a hub (I got one with USB + ethernet + SDcards, duct-taped it to the back)
- doesn't seem to adjust brightness to ambient light
- 13" macbook pro from 2017 struggles a bit
- 15" macbook pro with top spec GPU can't run games in full 5K
- too many pixels, gotta be careful when taking screenshots (must resize, big files)
- super expensive
- completely unnecessary for most daily tasks
- MacOS sometimes does wonky things with USB-C connections like crash your computer if you plug and unplug impatiently
- doesn't give you more screen real estate room than a normal 27" monitor (not at "native" resolution at least)
The reason I went for 5K instead of just 4K are the Amazon reviews that say "Don't get a 27" 4K, MacOS does funny things". Something about not being able to run at native resolution so you either get suuuuuper tiny visuals, or everything's blurry.
Your only options are a 24" 4K or a 27" 5K. I hear 32" 4K works great too, but my desk isn't big enough.
2017 is still too early for 5K. There are only 2 monitors on the market, the LG and the Dell, and they're both expensive as hell. Laptops have trouble driving the full resolution for anything interesting, and you don't get more real estate than normal.
It's a fancy toy, looks great, your eyes will love you. But if you have a working monitor, I'd wait a few more years for 5K to become the norm.
I write articles with real insight into the career and skills of a modern software engineer. "Raw and honest from the heart!" as one reader described them. Fueled by lessons learned over 20 years of building production code for side-projects, small businesses, and hyper growth startups. Both successful and not.
Subscribe below 👇
Join Swizec's Newsletter and get insightful emails 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Senior Mindset Book
Get promoted, earn a bigger salary, work for top companiesLearn more
Have a burning question that you think I can answer? Hit me up on twitter and I'll do my best.
Who am I and who do I help? I'm Swizec Teller and I turn coders into engineers with "Raw and honest from the heart!" writing. No bullshit. Real insights into the career and skills of a modern software engineer.
Want to become a true senior engineer? Take ownership, have autonomy, and be a force multiplier on your team. The Senior Engineer Mindset ebook can help 👉 swizec.com/senior-mindset. These are the shifts in mindset that unlocked my career.
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, for frontend engineers 👉 ServerlessHandbook.dev
Want to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz React components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Did someone amazing share this letter with you? Wonderful! You can sign up for my weekly letters for software engineers on their path to greatness, here: swizec.com/blog
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️