This 5 minute talk by Pam Selle is a thing of beauty. Watch it.
Here are the key points. Honestly though, she expresses them much better than I do, so watch the video →
- You are a business asset. You’re worth $X to your company. Your company knows the X… do you know the X?
- The more hours you work, the less money you’re making for your time.
- Every time you stay late after work, you’re giving that time away for free.
- Do side projects. Maybe even side projects that make money. ;)
- You only stay late because you can’t do your work. Do your work at work. Get off Facebook, make the shit you want to happen happen, and go the fuck home when you’re done.
- When you work overtime, **your productivity goes down. **
- If you are good at your job, you should get it done in the time allotted.
- Get a Life
- Have an escape plan: schedule something right after work so that you’re forced to go the fuck home
- Be an example for your team. Don’t perpetuate the “stay later to look loyaler” arms race. It’s dumb.
- Be happy. Happier people are more productive, and if you’re more productive, you make more money. Everyone loves more money.
You know what makes you happy? Having a life. Know what makes it possible to have a life? Going the fuck home.
PS: If you’re a founder or have millions of dollars of your net worth in the company, this advice does not apply. You pour your heart and soul into that fucker, and remember to tell your employees to go the fuck home.
Here's how it works 👇
And get thoughtful letters 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Ready to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, modern backend for the frontend engineer.
Ready to learn how it all fits together and build a modern webapp from scratch? Learn how to launch a webapp and make your first 💰 on the side with ServerlessReact.Dev
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️