This 5 minute talk by Pam Selle is a thing of beauty. Watch it.
Here are the key points. Honestly though, she expresses them much better than I do, so watch the video →
- You are a business asset. You’re worth $X to your company. Your company knows the X… do you know the X?
- The more hours you work, the less money you’re making for your time.
- Every time you stay late after work, you’re giving that time away for free.
- Do side projects. Maybe even side projects that make money. ;)
- You only stay late because you can’t do your work. Do your work at work. Get off Facebook, make the shit you want to happen happen, and go the fuck home when you’re done.
- When you work overtime, **your productivity goes down. **
- If you are good at your job, you should get it done in the time allotted.
- Get a Life
- Have an escape plan: schedule something right after work so that you’re forced to go the fuck home
- Be an example for your team. Don’t perpetuate the “stay later to look loyaler” arms race. It’s dumb.
- Be happy. Happier people are more productive, and if you’re more productive, you make more money. Everyone loves more money.
You know what makes you happy? Having a life. Know what makes it possible to have a life? Going the fuck home.
PS: If you’re a founder or have millions of dollars of your net worth in the company, this advice does not apply. You pour your heart and soul into that fucker, and remember to tell your employees to go the fuck home.
I write articles with real insight into the career and skills of a modern software engineer. "Raw and honest from the heart!" as one reader described them. Fueled by lessons learned over 20 years of building production code for side-projects, small businesses, and hyper growth startups. Both successful and not.
Subscribe below 👇
Join Swizec's Newsletter and get insightful emails 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Have a burning question that you think I can answer? Hit me up on twitter and I'll do my best.
Who am I and who do I help? I'm Swizec Teller and I turn coders into engineers with "Raw and honest from the heart!" writing. No bullshit. Real insights into the career and skills of a modern software engineer.
Want to become a true senior engineer? Take ownership, have autonomy, and be a force multiplier on your team. The Senior Engineer Mindset ebook can help 👉 swizec.com/senior-mindset. These are the shifts in mindset that unlocked my career.
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, for frontend engineers 👉 ServerlessHandbook.dev
Want to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz React components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Did someone amazing share this letter with you? Wonderful! You can sign up for my weekly letters for software engineers on their path to greatness, here: swizec.com/blog
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️