For a while now I've been meaning to write a list of services that I need or want, but haven't found. Some of these probably don't exist, some of them just haven't reached my radar.
You can read this list as a sort of manifesto of what I'll get up to in the next few years. Feel free to scavenge for ideas as well. I won't mind, in fact I'll be glad because there's more ideas here than one guy can implement :)
In no particular order:
- A dashboard for the data I collect about myself either implicitly or explicitly
- A way to consolidate my social profile - at least change the avatar everywhere at once
- Some way to keep track of all the profiles I have
- Stripe for Europe
- When I write, dynamically predict how satisfied my audience will be so I can adjust accordingly
- Ability to test different contents of a blogpost in regards to different audiences
- Tell my users how long they are likely to take reading a story
- Give me N pieces of news/content that will take X amount of time
- Send funny pictures to friends offline with a single click [I am SO rebooting this one]
- Pay for small favours by actually sending a cookie across the world
- A tool that reminds me to keep in touch with potential clients (some sort of CRM I guess)
- According to my personal metrics - give me progress predictions with graphs and advice on improving
- A helper for building good habits so I can just respond to events rather than use my own willpower
- Unified way of dealing with all the apps/services that have my CreditCard or PayPal info
- Unified directory of everyone with OAuth access to any of my accounts
- Remind me to unfollow/unfriend people before the task gets too daunting
- Some unified way of dealing with all the services I might need like plumbers, sysadmins and food delivery
- Remind me to eat according to a schedule
- Create a diet for me and make sure the ingredients are always in the fridge
While nothing revolutionary, this is a list of projects that deal with the fact that I'm almost as lazy as I am forgetful. Most of all, the proposed services are about predicting rather than reacting. I don't want to react to a problem, I want to predict I'm going to have a problem while I still have time to fix it!
With the piles of data available, computers are better at making these predictions than I am.
Continue reading about Services I want to pay for
Semantically similar articles hand-picked by GPT-4
- Sabbatical week day 1: Toshl and Toggl datasets
- Steal my startup idea: Rent-a-mum
- Workflowy is to TODO as git is to svn
- Livecoding 52: First impressions of Vue
- My ideas are shitty so I'm going on an internet diet
I write articles with real insight into the career and skills of a modern software engineer. "Raw and honest from the heart!" as one reader described them. Fueled by lessons learned over 20 years of building production code for side-projects, small businesses, and hyper growth startups. Both successful and not.
Subscribe below 👇
Join Swizec's Newsletter and get insightful emails 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Senior Mindset Book
Get promoted, earn a bigger salary, work for top companiesLearn more
Have a burning question that you think I can answer? Hit me up on twitter and I'll do my best.
Who am I and who do I help? I'm Swizec Teller and I turn coders into engineers with "Raw and honest from the heart!" writing. No bullshit. Real insights into the career and skills of a modern software engineer.
Want to become a true senior engineer? Take ownership, have autonomy, and be a force multiplier on your team. The Senior Engineer Mindset ebook can help 👉 swizec.com/senior-mindset. These are the shifts in mindset that unlocked my career.
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, for frontend engineers 👉 ServerlessHandbook.dev
Want to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz React components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Did someone amazing share this letter with you? Wonderful! You can sign up for my weekly letters for software engineers on their path to greatness, here: swizec.com/blog
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️