Image by Still Burning via Flickr
Ok so today has probably been one of the crappiest days in a very very long time. Nothing spectacular happened, just a bunch of small very very irritating and annoying things, just enough to ruin your mood for a whole week.
Which is awesome since it's Monday.
Even better, I'm going to London tomorrow and am expected to be all chirpy and awesome.
Because the day can speak for itself, I'm just going to list everything:
- I got up quite a bit later than I intended.
- It was cold and incredibly humid outside.
- By the time I got to uni to have a grade officially noted down, I was dripping sweat.
- Went to hackerspace to study, made tea.
- 10 minutes later realised I'd forgotten my calculator at home, went get it.
- Dripping sweat when got home.
- This time get in car and go back to hackerspace.
- Going for calculator took an hour. Made new tea.
- Ten minutes later classmates called, let's go study at a random open classroom.
- It is now almost noon and I've only had a few sips of tea.
- All vending machines at the faculty are out of energy drinks, everyone's studying.
- With the last change I've got I grab a coke.
- At 3pm the exam starts and it's a fucking assrape. I literally felt the professor's dick go up my arse when I put my eyes on the problem.
- Struggle through somewhat solving everything.
- It took so long I couldn't pick a time/date to go get my grade. Got one that is on a day when I'm in London.
- Go back to hackerspace to mostly hang out, do some business stuff.
- Laptop runs out of disk. Quickly empty trash.
- Emptying trash takes two hours.
- While emptying trash the only data file for my time logging app where I log pretty much everything I do so I can have an oversee of what I'm doing with my time ... goes missing.
- Fine I'll just restore it from backups.
- Mate beats me in almost every single game of Guitar Hero.
- Get home, start restoring that file from backups.
- Find out someone had turned Time Machine off on December 6th 2009.
- Give up. The day is officially horrible. The only way it could get worse is if I magically break my leg while sleeping.
Learned something new?
Read more Software Engineering Lessons from Production
I write articles with real insight into the career and skills of a modern software engineer. "Raw and honest from the heart!" as one reader described them. Fueled by lessons learned over 20 years of building production code for side-projects, small businesses, and hyper growth startups. Both successful and not.
Subscribe below 👇
Software Engineering Lessons from Production
Join Swizec's Newsletter and get insightful emails 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Senior Mindset Book
Get promoted, earn a bigger salary, work for top companiesLearn more
Have a burning question that you think I can answer? Hit me up on twitter and I'll do my best.
Who am I and who do I help? I'm Swizec Teller and I turn coders into engineers with "Raw and honest from the heart!" writing. No bullshit. Real insights into the career and skills of a modern software engineer.
Want to become a true senior engineer? Take ownership, have autonomy, and be a force multiplier on your team. The Senior Engineer Mindset ebook can help 👉 swizec.com/senior-mindset. These are the shifts in mindset that unlocked my career.
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, for frontend engineers 👉 ServerlessHandbook.dev
Want to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz React components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Did someone amazing share this letter with you? Wonderful! You can sign up for my weekly letters for software engineers on their path to greatness, here: swizec.com/blog
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️