This is a guest post by Jan Pierce - a 4th grade teacher who has over 20 years of experience in the classroom. Her interests include educational technology and online learning. She also owns the site Elementary Education Degree for students interested in earning a degree in elementary education.
1. Ego – This is an essential app for anyone in the web business. Ego allows you to check statistics like visits, feed subscriptions, Twitter followers, and more on a daily or hourly basis. Instead of visiting a bunch of different websites, all you need to do is open this single application. It supports sites like Google Analytics, Twitter, Squarespace, Vimeo, and more. ($1.99)
2. Palettes – Don’t you wish you had a way to capture a color you see online? Now you can with this application. Take a color directly from any online image and create a palette, or import a palette from another photo program. This is a great way to use Professional color schemes without wasting time to create them for every site you make. (Free)
3. WhatTheFont – Identify fonts wherever you go with this handy application. Take a photo of a word and find out what its font is in seconds to help you gain quick inspiration for your own sites. This app has gained a cult status among web designers for a very good reason. (Free)
4. FTP On The Go – This app allows you to perform maintenance on your website, no matter where you are. You can also edit files on an FTP server and check other applications while staying in the FTP all. This is one of the most downloaded web business apps on the market. ($6.99)
5. ZeptoPad – Forget the tiny keypad on your iPhone. This app lets you draw on the screen with you finger to brainstorm and jot down notes. You can also save what you make in a JPEG format to send to your friends and colleagues. (Free)
6. CSS Cheatsheet – Even experienced developers need to look up CSS commands every once in a while. This is a reference sheet for those on the go who just need a little reminder so that they don’t have to waste their time searching online. ($0.99)
7. SEO Pro – Track the progress of all your domains by viewing various page rank factors from Google, Yahoo, and more. Since this app allows you to monitor unlimited urls, you can even track your competitors’ sites as well. ($0.99)
8. WorkTimer – Do you have trouble keeping track of how many hours you work on each of your projects? This app will track them for you so that you can provide clients with accurate billing information. At the end of each month, you can send out emails with project records. ($0.99)
9. CliqCliq Colors – Find and edit colors with a precise, easy-to-use functionality. Quickly convert scales and formats that are compatible with all the major types of photo editing software. You can also extract colors from your iPhone photos or Flickr. (Free)
10. Analytics – If you already have a Google Analytics account, this app will bring all of its amazing features to your iPhone. View 55 different reports as well as information for site traffic and e-commerce. You won’t find an analytics app nearly as detail-oriented as this one. ($6.99)
- iPhone / iPad Tutorial - How To Get Settings Shortcuts On Your Home Screen (appleissimo.com)
- Nooka iPhone Application (hypebeast.com)
- How To Control Your PC with Your iPhone (phonehour.com)
- Is Apple Going To War Against Devs Who Use White iPhones To Advertise Their Apps? (cultofmac.com)
I write articles with real insight into the career and skills of a modern software engineer. "Raw and honest from the heart!" as one reader described them. Fueled by lessons learned over 20 years of building production code for side-projects, small businesses, and hyper growth startups. Both successful and not.
Subscribe below 👇
Join Swizec's Newsletter and get insightful emails 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Senior Mindset Book
Get promoted, earn a bigger salary, work for top companiesLearn more
Have a burning question that you think I can answer? Hit me up on twitter and I'll do my best.
Who am I and who do I help? I'm Swizec Teller and I turn coders into engineers with "Raw and honest from the heart!" writing. No bullshit. Real insights into the career and skills of a modern software engineer.
Want to become a true senior engineer? Take ownership, have autonomy, and be a force multiplier on your team. The Senior Engineer Mindset ebook can help 👉 swizec.com/senior-mindset. These are the shifts in mindset that unlocked my career.
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, for frontend engineers 👉 ServerlessHandbook.dev
Want to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz React components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Did someone amazing share this letter with you? Wonderful! You can sign up for my weekly letters for software engineers on their path to greatness, here: swizec.com/blog
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️