Last night I watched Avatar nice and proper at the moving pictures - in 3D of course because fuck it, if they spent developing the funky new tech for seven years, I bloody well feel obliged to watch the movie as it was intended.
In short ... it was fucking awesome! This is the first movie in 15 years that I am willing to pay for again and probably will. Sometime this week. Yep, I've always liked watching movies I like several times in rapid succession - this one however I can't do justice with my rig at home. So the moving pictures it is!
Because I want each and everyone of you to go see this masterpiece I will not tell you anything about the story, but here are some tidbits that I believe make it more than just your usual blockbuster effects pornography.
- There is a very good story that ties the whole movie together, albeit extremely cliche, it still throws a glove at the face of modern culture and blahblah. No story talk!
- So. Much. Eye-porn! Love love love! It was like Angelina Jolie, Liz Hurley and Scarlet Johansson having sex with my eyes simultaneously for three hours.
- Very fucking awesome scenography! You know those incredibly artistic comics you see in Flight and other proper art books? Well this was just like that, except in a movie! A fucking movie! I've never seen anything like it before. It was quite beyond words.
- The details! Oh gawd the details. How often do you see a movie where scenes shot from within a glass canopy of any sort actually show the glass? That's right, none. Until now.
- The world made sense. This is very rare in fantasy these days, but the world made very much fucking sense. The animals looked _right, _even the topography and fauna looked proper and correct. It felt like properly exploring a foreign planet, not like somebody was pulling ideas out of their arse.
- The blue people had a language. Now maybe I'm just a language geek, but it fills me with great delight to see that an artist went through the pain of creating a proper language instead of just stringing random words together ... although it did sound a lot like a derivative of Quenya.
Now, there were a few annoying little tidbits that felt somewhat ... off.
Like for example, if every animal on the world has three limbs, why do the humanoid peoples only have four? Doesn't make sense.
Or ... uhm ... why did the animals feel so derivative of Earth animals? You have this wonderful opportunity to create something awesome, and you do, but why the fuck do you make my mind go "Well that's a Rhino equivalent" ... "and that's a dog" ... "oh look, a hyenna" and so forth? Don't do that. Making animals that are awesomely designed, but then almost neglecting their behaviour ... tsk tsk.
All in all, the movie is a definite thumbs up. All f0our thumbs!
Continue reading about Like Angelina and Scarlet having sex with your eyes
Semantically similar articles hand-picked by GPT-4
I write articles with real insight into the career and skills of a modern software engineer. "Raw and honest from the heart!" as one reader described them. Fueled by lessons learned over 20 years of building production code for side-projects, small businesses, and hyper growth startups. Both successful and not.
Subscribe below 👇
Join Swizec's Newsletter and get insightful emails 💌 on mindsets, tactics, and technical skills for your career. Real lessons from building production software. No bullshit.
"Man, love your simple writing! Yours is the only newsletter I open and only blog that I give a fuck to read & scroll till the end. And wow always take away lessons with me. Inspiring! And very relatable. 👌"
Senior Mindset Book
Get promoted, earn a bigger salary, work for top companiesLearn more
Have a burning question that you think I can answer? Hit me up on twitter and I'll do my best.
Who am I and who do I help? I'm Swizec Teller and I turn coders into engineers with "Raw and honest from the heart!" writing. No bullshit. Real insights into the career and skills of a modern software engineer.
Want to become a true senior engineer? Take ownership, have autonomy, and be a force multiplier on your team. The Senior Engineer Mindset ebook can help 👉 swizec.com/senior-mindset. These are the shifts in mindset that unlocked my career.
Curious about Serverless and the modern backend? Check out Serverless Handbook, for frontend engineers 👉 ServerlessHandbook.dev
Want to Stop copy pasting D3 examples and create data visualizations of your own? Learn how to build scalable dataviz React components your whole team can understand with React for Data Visualization
Did someone amazing share this letter with you? Wonderful! You can sign up for my weekly letters for software engineers on their path to greatness, here: swizec.com/blog
By the way, just in case no one has told you it yet today: I love and appreciate you for who you are ❤️